In May 2010, I passed the Radio Amateur “Full” exam. Even though I have a bachelor degree in electronics (a long time ago, in a galaxy far away…), the exam was quite difficult.
Home is at locator JO21RK. I do not yet have a base transceiver, just a couple of handhelds. This will undoubtedly change, depending on XYL / CFO permission ;-)
Puxing PX-777 Plus
To celebrate passing my F-exam, I bought a couple of PX-777 Plus 70cm transceivers at 409shop.com. They’re cheap but surprisingly nice little radios.
In July 2010, I purchased this very nice dual-band 2m/70cm transceiver from Hamradioshop. It is actually the same radio as the immensely popular Wouxun KG-UVD1P, with only cosmetic changes. The charger doesn’t need a “wall-wart” adapter like the Puxing does, it plugs straight into the mains. Good!
In April 2011, I purchased this fancy high-end 2m/70cm transceiver with built-in TNC, GPS and APRS from RAHshop.nl. Unfortunately, it turned out that Ronald sold me a second-hand unit as new. I will never shop there again – I don’t like being lied to.
The TH-D72 gets very good reviews on eHam.net, despite the steep price. The most recent MCP-04A programming software (v1.01, Windows only) is available from Kenwood as a free download. I hope to get my transceiver working with Xastir on Mac / Linux shortly.
I’m still looking for my first base/mobile transceiver. I’m torn between the dual-band Kenwood TM-D710 / Yaesu FT-8900R or perhaps an All-band HF rig like the Kenwood TS-480SAT or Yaesu FT-857D. Choices, choices…
The Kenwood TM-D710 is an all-in-one package with TNC, APRS support etc. built into the rig. It gets very good reviews over at eHam.
Linking your Radio with Internet
- Funkamateur (German)
Radio Amateur info
- Mods.dk – Modifications for radio amateurs
- RadioAmateur.eu – info about HAM radio in Europe, transceiver schematics etc.
- The Repeater Builder’s Technical Information Page
- RigReference.com – info about transceivers etc.
- Frequentieland (nl) overview of frequency bands and their use
- Verbinding (nl)
- Beginnen met een amateurstation (very nice site for beginning amateurs, in Dutch, by ON7PX)
Electronics and Radio Amateur (Web-)Shops
- 409 Shop (hk)
- USA and Canada
- APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System)
- Voice (other)
- DARES (nl)
- HF Propagation and Solar-Terrestrial Data Website
- Byonics – Electronic projects for amateur radio
- Ham Software for Linux
- N0XAS Ham Gadgets